[Python-Dev] Re: decorators and 2.4

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Sat Jun 26 10:23:44 EDT 2004

> Uh, the WHOLE POINT we want this is to have side-effects.  If it
> doesn't make the function act in a different way, it might as well
> live in the doc string or something.

Declarative vs. imperative.  Design-time *definitional* modification of
behavior vs. runtime.  I don't really think you want side-effects in
the literal sense.  E.g. "classmethod" isn't a side-effect, it's a
definitional thing.  If you really want side-effecting operations on
functions, you've already got that given higher-order / first-class
functions.

jb