[Python-Dev] Re-raise in absence of an "active" exception

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 26 13:20:29 EDT 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Is there consensus such that I should make these changes to the spec?

Well, no - I still think it is a bug that re-raising after then end
of the exception handler but before the end of the function "works".

I'm actually surprised that the exception is cleared when the
function that has the exception handler completes. Where does that
happen? The current exception is in the thread state, not in the
frame, after all.

But then, consensus on the semantics isn't needed, as you should
be looking for BDFL pronouncement. So you might be asking "Is
there consensus that these changes reflect the BDFL pronouncement?"
to which I can't respond, as I haven't understood the BDFL
pronouncement.

Regards,
Martin