[Python-Dev] Compiling the Python sources with a C++ compiler (aCC)

Paul Sheer p at 2038bug.com
Sun Jun 27 07:56:45 EDT 2004

> Neil Hodgson:
>    I think it is unlikely that such a large patch and resulting C++
> compatibility policy will be accepted.

> Paul Svensson:
>
> The Pythin sorces are written in C; that they fail to compile
> when usung a compiler for a different language is a feature, not a bug.

of course :-)

however, most of the changes are good coding practice in any case.

the rest are outright inconsistencies in the python source
and ought to be fixed -

for instance, the macros 'PyMODINIT_FUNC' and 'staticforward'
are *not* used with consistency

in all, the patch is merely one-liner style changes, and
nothing more. The patch is not large.

on a philosophical note, one could have said that the Python
sources were POSIX, and: "the fact that they fail to compile
when using a different OS is a feature not a bug."

yet today Python compiles on a wide range of OS's

-paul