[Python-Dev] Re: decorators and 2.4

Chermside, Michael mchermside at ingdirect.com
Tue Jun 29 09:07:41 EDT 2004

> Sorry, yes, you're correct.  I apologize to Phil and the list.  It's
> just rather frustrating to get beat all to hell (and told
> patronizingly
> to "read" a freakin' PEP I've read, repeatedly, before even speaking
> up) for no apparent reason just for raising what IMHO are rather
> legitimate concerns.
>
> My bad, I'll go back to lurk and if this particular feature turns out
> to be the giant hairball it appears to be I won't say anything.

Hey... don't be afraid to speak up -- it's a good idea to challenge
ideas around here. It's just that in this case most of the people
who are speaking up don't seem to be swayed by your points. But
that doesn't mean it isn't useful. For example, when Gareth said
that you were trying to "define [declarative] at a rather high level
of abstraction", I finally began to understand (I hope) what you
were trying to convey with the term. Interesting... I had always
thought of "declarative" and "imperative" as having a very clear
boundary, but in fact, they can be looked at from a "higher level".
So if nothing else, you've educated me a bit. It's just that you
haven't convinced me that restricting decorators is wise, and once
folks (on either side) descend to ad hominem attacks it's time to
drop the subject.

-- Michael Chermside

This email may contain confidential or privileged information. If you believe you have received the message in error, please notify the sender and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.