[Python-Dev] Including translated doc strings in 2.4

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jun 29 17:31:19 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 16:07, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Actually, no. I'd like to stick it into Lib/somewhere, so it is easy to
> locate through
>
> os.path.join(os.path.dirname(gettext.__file__), 'messages')
>
> Even more importantly, putting it into Lib means it is simpler to have
> it installed.

Good enough reason for me, although my one (minor) concern is the
consumption of that name in the top-level package namespace for
something that isn't Python code.

> If you think it helps, finding it through
>
> import messages
> messages.docstrings('de')
>
> might be an option; messages/__init__.py would then have the proper
> magic.

That makes me feel better about dropping it in Lib, even if the use case
is a little questionable. I'm uncomfortable about having things other
than packages or modules in that namespace.

-Barry