[Python-Dev] Including translated doc strings in 2.4

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jun 30 02:19:11 EDT 2004

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> I'm curious whether there were thoughts about how to keep the
> translations in sync with their English counterparts.

Using standard gettext procedures. You extract all new docstrings,
and merge the old translations with the new docstrings. Some
translations become fuzzy, and the translators have to review them.
Likewise, some docstrings will become new.

As a result, some of the translations are always outdated, and the
standard gettext procedure is to ignore them and fall back to a
different language (e.g. if you had both pt_BR and pt translations,
and pt_BR is outdated, you might fall back to the pt translation,
before falling back to en_US).

However, this is all way ahead in the future. Translating all doc
strings is very time consuming, and hasn't been completely done
for any language so far.

Regards,
Martin