[Python-Dev] SHA-256 module

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Wed Jun 30 11:30:01 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:15:24AM +0100, Michael Hudson wrote:
> Nevertheless, am I right to still believe that there are no known
> distinct strings which even MD5 to the same hash?

Correct.

One significant reason for the larger SHAs to generate 256-bit keys
for AES encryption; it's better to have a larger hash than to take a
smaller one and replicate portions of it.  But, given that we're not
going to include AES in the Python stdlib, people will have to
download a separate library anyway. This library could include SHA256,
so this application isn't a compelling reason to add SHA256 to the
stdlib.  It would be different if there were existing protocols that
need the larger hash, such as HTTP digest auth; are there any?

--amk