[Python-Dev] Idea for a fast calling convention

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Mar 1 05:52:45 EST 2004

Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> writes:

> p.s.: I believe some automatic source analysis and rewrite might pay
> off in other areas as well. Grepping through the sources, there are
> still very many similar patterns of PyArg_ParseTupleXXX calls, which
> could be replaced by less general, optimized versions.  This would
> even *not* cause code bloat, since all those calling sequences would
> be smaller than now.

Well, yes.  C sucks seriously for things like this, though.  It's
frankly embarassing that *every* time, say, ''.split() is called, some
silly string is being parsed.  Unclear what to do about this (excpet
PyPy, I guess).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I have a feeling that any simple problem can be made arbitrarily
  difficult by imposing a suitably heavy administrative process