[Python-Dev] How to debug pyexpat SIGSEGV with GDB?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 1 09:53:11 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 18:00, Brad Clements wrote:
> So, how can I figure out where in the Python source the function call is coming from
> using gdb? I'm sure it involves "print" and some casts.. I couldn't find a howto on
> python.org

First, make sure that the code from Misc/gdbinit is in your .gdbinit
file.  Get the stack trace in gdb and move up/down until you get to an
eval_frame() frame.  Then call the function pyframe.  It will print the
filename, function name, and line number of the current frame.  The
lineno usually points to the first line of the function.

Jeremy