[Python-Dev] PEP 318 - function/method/class decoration

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Fri Mar 5 17:31:36 EST 2004

> I would like to focus this
> thread to, specifically, if *this syntax* should become part of Python.

Well, you get my +1, but I also want to protest that I think you may
have rigged the vote. As you say,

> It is already clear the the idea of function/method/class decoration
> is worthy.

Your reason for voting on just this syntax is:

> I propose that we just go with the syntax we *already have an
> implementation for*.  I don't see anything wrong with it, I believe it
> is the most popular, and I personally don't like new keywords.

If getting an implementation were a problem, that would be convicing,
but there have been volunteers to implement whatever syntax is chosen.
I think the choice of syntax should be based on which syntax is
better, not which happened to be implemented in the proof-of-concept.
So I'll second Barry's call:

> It's probably time to ask the BDFL for a pronouncement on the PEP.

Oh, and by the way... I LIKE the syntax as implemented, although I still
have a nagging desire for a keyword.

-- Michael Chermside