[Python-Dev] Bug 911080, string split oddness

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Mar 7 19:03:53 EST 2004

Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net>:

> I think the current version documentation intends to explain the
> no-argument form with this sentence:
>     If sep is not specified or None, any whitespace string is a separator.
>     [http://python.org/doc/current/lib/string-methods.html#l2h-197]

I'm inclined to agree with Pete Shinners that the above
explanation is perhaps a little too compressed.

Maybe "any string of consecutive whitespace characters is a
separator". Perhaps with an explicit note that this is NOT
equivalent to .split(" \t\n") and the reason why.

Pete Shinners <pete at shinners.org>:

> I suppose split either needs another optional argument or a
> different split method. (splitgroup? splitseq?)

splitany? (splits on "any" of the chars in the arg)