[Python-Dev] PEP 318 - generality of list; restrictions on elements

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Mar 8 17:44:35 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 02:53:24PM -0600, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> Perhaps the Quixote folks can shed some light on their decision about
> decorator syntax when they created PTL.  I suspect they gave some

At the time it looked like Python was going to go with
decorater-before-args.  For example, see page #7 of Guido's Python10 keynote
at http://www.python.org/doc/essays/ppt/ ; it includes examples such as

def foo [static] (arg1, arg2): ...

(And personally I do, in fact, prefer the decorator-first syntax. because in
the case of a long argument list that spanned multiple lines, the decorator
would seem kind of lost.)

--amk