[Python-Dev] dateutil

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Mar 11 14:44:59 EST 2004

Gerrit wrote:

> Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>
>>Yes, it's time for the classical question. ;-)
>>
>>What's your opinion about the inclusion of the dateutil[1]
>>extension in the standard library?
<SNIP>
> I am in favour of including something like DatuUtil in the standard
> library. I need it often enough, e.g., to find out out when two weeks after
> 24 Feb is is easier with DateUtil than with datetime, and I think
> datetime lacks a strptime.

You're right, Gerrit, strptime is not in datetime and it was a conscious
decision by Tim and Guido.

And if you want a poor man's way of finding the date a specific number
of days past a date you can add those number of days to the day of the
year value and then pass in the year and day of year into strptime and
it will calculate the new date for you.  Roundabout, yes, but it works.
  =)  Obviously DateUtil is a much better way to handle this.

> IMO it should be possible to do all date/time
> arithmetic without the time module; I don't like the time module.

I personally would not mind seeing the time module end up with its usage
being relegated to getting time information from the OS and moving all
other functionality to datetime.

-Brett