[Python-Dev] dateutil

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Thu Mar 11 16:37:30 EST 2004

Skip Montanaro wrote:
> The point is, the Recurrence class in the recur module seems
> to have some hooks builtin for this sort of stuff, but it's
> not been fleshed out very well.  A PEP with some sample
> implementations might go a long way to making a more
> complete implementation available.  The documentation
> seems to be missing that would help me add it.  I think
> there is technology there which doesn't exist in dateutil.
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Perhaps recur.Recurrence just needs a little more work so it
> can handle some common timekeeping phraseology:
>
>     * every Tuesday
>     * every hour on the half hour
>     * once an hour on the quarter hour
>     * every 4 days
>     * the first Monday of each month
>     * every four years starting in 2000
>
> I'll restate my suggestion that maybe a PEP for this stuff
> would be a good
> idea.  I think it would be a reasonable idea to check both recur and
> dateutil into the nondist/sandbox so other people can take a
> whack at them.

Fine with me. I agree with your assessment that, although flexible, it's
not fleshed out. I only built in the specific use cases I needed at the
time. More would be nice regardless of how it interfaces with DateUtil.
As far as a lack of documentation, I'd be happy to answer questions and
then turn around and use those to write some more docs.

For a start, it probably needs a better "little language" lexer/parser
than just regexes if you're going to fold in the examples above.

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org