[Python-Dev] dateutil

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Mar 17 20:58:04 EST 2004

> > a gross abuse of the Python language.
>
> Ok, Greg. You got it. I'm not interested in discussing this issue
> anymore.

Hey, I didn't mean that as a personal insult or anything.
Sorry if it came across that way.

> Assignment operator!?! Where's the assignment?! Where's the assigned
> variable?

All right, perhaps it's not strictly an assignment, since it's
constructing a new object rather than mutating an existing one. But
it's substituting a value for one of the object's fields that doesn't
depend in any way on the old value of that field. This is completely
unlike what 'addition' usually means.