[Python-Dev] Changes to PEP 327: Decimal data type

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu Mar 18 16:02:33 EST 2004

Shane, doesn't our employer have a style guide that requires
doingAWrongThing here?  Maybe that was just a Zope3 thing, though.  I can
never find anything in Wikis <0.5 wink> ... ok,

    http://tinyurl.com/2885n

[Barry]
> I've gone back and forth on this issue several times, but the
> rationale that Tim refers to has to do with conversations we've had
> on various lists, and the decision we made with the email package.
> At the time, lowercase_with_underscores was preferred by non-native
> English speakers over mixedCaseWords.  It seems that the latter can
> give non-native English speakers more difficulty.
>
> Sometimes though, I still like mixedCase. ;)

A happy thing is that sometimes alllower is right too (although not for
alllower, while allLower lies about itself).  Python's has_key is the poster
child for a method that should have been spelled haskey.  If you don't
believe me, ask Guido.  There was much rejoicing in Guido's mirthful head
when "key in mapping" was added so he didn't have to type has_key again.

> +1 on updating PEP 8 to encourage <wink> lowercase_with_underscores.

Encouragement is all we can do.  Plus breaking a few legs now & again just
to drive the point home.