[Python-Dev] Timing for Py2.4

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Mar 23 22:10:18 EST 2004

[Raymond Hettinger]
>> The PEP for Py2.4 got updated and the dates were pushed back to
>> September.  Is there any reason that we couldn’t get a first alpha
>> out in early June or late May?

[Anthony Baxter]
> I _really_ want to give ast-compiler and generator expressions time to
> bake. genexps in particular have the potential to have all sorts of
> nasty corner cases.
>
> Once we release 2.4.0, changing genexps to fix any previously-
> unforseen uglies is going to be much, much harder.

The ast-branch compiler is likely to have its share of subtle glitches.
They may be more serious, since it looks like "the plan" for genexps now is
to say that genexps work -- whatever they happen to do <wink>.

Raymond, the 2.4 PEP was updated after a 2.4 planning meeting during the
PyCon sprints on Sunday.  There was plenty of debate there.