[Python-Dev] method decorators (PEP 318)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Mar 26 14:26:39 EST 2004

    Phillip> I guess my main concern is that I don't want to see PEP 318
    Phillip> crippled by a syntax that only works (and then just barely!)
    Phillip> for classmethod or another single-word decorator.

Ditto.  Even though we might not be able to think of all the potential uses
today doesn't mean we should lock ourselves out of potential future uses.
Who would have predicted when function docstrings were added to Python that
they would have been coopted for use as grammar productions (as John Aycock
did in SPARK)?  That's not what they were intended for, but given the
language as defined in 1998, it was a very elegant solution to the problem
at hand, IMHO.

Skip