[Python-Dev] Re: Timing for Py2.4

Paul Moore pf_moore at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 28 09:37:52 EST 2004

"Raymond Hettinger" <python at rcn.com> writes:

> 1)  "Baking" is not happening.  There are only a tiny handful of us
> actively developing and using Py2.4.  Move the release date back five
> months and that's five more months that no one is looking at the
> product.  The best way to get people exercise the code base is to have
> an alpha release.

On Windows, the killer issue is the availability of pywin32. I don't
believe you'll get much take-up of Python 2.4 by Windows users without
a pywin32 binary release. Is there any chance of prevailing upon Mark
to produce a 2.4-compatible binary?

I'll see how I can do building other modules using mingw, and put the
results on a web page somewhere.

[Later...]
Not much luck so far. cx_Oracle won't build with mingw (MSVC-specific
library headers). Nor will ctypes (MSVC-specific code). Pysqlite will.
I'm not even going to *try* wxPython, as I'd need to build wxWindows
with mingw - it's apparently possible, but looks like a lot of work
(and I don't use wxPython much). I'm scared of trying PIL - I found it
hard enough with MSVC thanks to all the graphics library dependencies.

I'd advocate an early alpha for another reason - Windows binary
builders will need as much time as possible to work through any issues
with the new requirement for MSVC7.

Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank