[Python-Dev] Timing for Py2.4

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Mar 28 12:20:15 EST 2004

> 4) If some feature set turns out to be worrisome, I would rather delay
> it for Py2.5 than hold up Py2.4 indefinitely.  The AST people know best
> whether their work is fit for commitment.  If it's not ready, then let
> it cook on its own time.  Basically, it's ready when it's ready.

While I wholeheartedly agree with the principles you elaborate and the
conclusions drawn from them, you should be aware that, at PyCon, we
have set firm deadlines for a number of potential changes. The AST
branch either gets merged by May 1, or it does not get merged for
Python 2.4. Its authors are very much interested in completing it and
feel that it may never get completed unless a concerted effort is made
in that direction now.

> Does anyone have a good reason that the first alpha cannot go out in
> May?

I can accept the position of contributors that they really want to see
their work released, especially if they are willing to abide by
deadlines they have agreed to.

I must accept (and will actively support) a schedule that the release
manager has set. While I don't quite remember it been actually
mentioned, I  somehow got the impression that Anthony's personal
schedule (as well as the upcoming release of 2.3.4) have contributed to
initiating a 2.4 release a few months later than May.

Regards,
Martin