[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Decorators last before colon

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Wed Mar 31 23:30:11 EST 2004

Regarding

    [decorator]
    def func(arg, arg):
        # stuff...

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 10:41 pm, Barry Warsaw wrote:
 > I don't like it.  It already has a meaning (albeit fairly useless) and
 > it doesn't seem obvious from just looking at it that the decorator is
 > connected to the following method.  It doesn't taste Pythonic to me.

Whether or not we're arbiters of what's Pythonic, this syntax is quite sad,
though I'll grant that it's better than variations along the line of

    decorate:
        decorator
    def func(arg, arg):
        # stuff...

I think Phillip Eby's observation that people who want to use decorators want
something different is quite telling.  I'm with Phillip in preferring

    def func(arg, arg) [decorator]:
        # stuff...

  -Fred

--