[Python-Dev] PEP 289 - Generator Expressions - Let's Move For ward

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Tue May 4 00:54:08 EDT 2004

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 09:58, Jewett, Jim J wrote:
>
>>Guido van Rossum:
>>

>>>My counter to that is that *any* use of genexps where the consumer
>>>doesn't consume (or discard) the iterator before the next line is
>>>reached is extremely advanced use.
>>
>>This might be worth putting in the PEP and the docs --
>

> We are in rather dire need of docs and a revised PEP.

Indeed. The timeframe we came up with at PyCon had the
generator expressions being landed "in the first week of
May". At the moment the discussion seems to be spinning
wheels -- it looks (to me) like there's not even 100%
agreement from everyone that they should even go into
2.4 at all.

I'm not fussed if we slip a week or two here, but if
it slips another 6 weeks, say, then the release time
line could be in some trouble.