[Python-Dev] Re: Small additions to optparser

Greg Ward gward at python.net
Tue May 4 08:16:00 EDT 2004

On 29 April 2004, Gustavo Niemeyer said:
> I have two small customizations I've used in most projects I've
> plugged optparse into. Since they're simple and generic, I'd
> like to integrate them back in optparser. These features are:
>
> - Add a help formatter which uses capitalized headers.

Sure, looks simple enough.

> - Add a "help" keyword in OptionParser, allowing straightforward
>   addition of a custom help messages.

How is that different from the existing 'description' that David Goodger
added for Optik 1.4?

> Comments?
>
> Also, how are we currently handling changes in optparser? Do we
> have an "official" maintainer (Greg?). IOW, should I:

As it says at the top of optparse.py:

  Originally distributed as Optik; see http://optik.sourceforge.net/ .

  If you have problems with this module, please do not file bugs,
  patches, or feature requests with Python; instead, use Optik's
  SourceForge project page:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/optik

So either post your patches to optik-users at lists.sourceforge.net, or
file 'em on the Optik tracker at SF.  Nothing wrong with cc'ing
python-dev at the same time, though.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward at python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
All of science is either physics or stamp collecting.