[Python-Dev] New Subscriber

Dave Hastings cgipm at unixbeast.com
Fri May 7 00:33:16 EDT 2004

Hello fellow developers.  My name is David Hastings and I am a new subscriber to the python-dev list.  I'm also a little new to python but I can get around in it.  I have been learning how to use the language for about a year now.  First, some information about myself.  I am a senior attending the University of Minnesota.  Today was the last day of classes for the spring semester and also the last day of my college career.  I am receiving a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science degree.  Man it feels good to be done !  This last semester a friend (Michael Sampson) and I took an independent study class where we sign up with a Professor and decide on a project and work on it until the end of the semester.  The project that was decided upon, with the advice of the Professor, was to make a CGIpm python module that reflected CGI.pm for perl.  We noticed that there is a current cgi module for python and even a cgipm module.  These modules are very useful, but did not include all the functions that CGI.pm for perl provides.  It turns out that my Professor really likes python and would have loved to see a CGIpm python module for python that was like the CGI.pm module for perl.  (I think he is a bit turned off by perl, more because it is a language that is not that easy to pick up unless you are familiar with unix, namely sed and awk.)  We decided to take the oportunity and wrote CGIpm.py.  I'm not going to go into a lot of details in this e-mail since it is an introductory e-mail, but the first version of CGIpm.py is complete.  I feel that this e-mail is a bit long winded as is, so I think I will end it.  I can not wait to start reading about all the new ideas, development, and contributions that this list will provide.

Dave