[Python-Dev] Access to generator type

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon May 10 22:27:03 EDT 2004

[James William Pye]
> Can access to the generator type(gentype in ceval.c) and associated
> data/structures be made available in a public
> interface/header(genobject.h)?

Possibly, if someone wants it enough to make a patch (including doc
changes).  There are many types that aren't exposed at the C level, BTW.
Advertising their internals has an inhibiting effect on evolution.  The
generator type has been around long enough w/o change that the value in
keeping it private has diminished.

> I know I can get the type by compiling a little generator and fetching its
> type, but that seems to be a bit redundant as each project that needs it,
> needs to make its own, nonstandardized version of access.

Anyone who wants it can do

    from types import GeneratorType

today (types is a standard Python module).