[Python-Dev] Is core dump always a bug? Advice requested

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu May 13 00:05:46 EDT 2004

[Phillip J. Eby]
> (Disclaimer: I didn't read the paper either, so there may be other
> interesting/applicable verifications there that I didn't sketch
> above.  This is just a spur-of-the-moment off-the-top-of-my-head draft
> thingy.)

It's important to read what people who have actually done it have to say
about subtleties.  For example, your algorithm considered 'return' to be 'a
terminal instruction'.  But what if it appeared in the 'try' clause of a
try/finally construct?  In Python's PVM, most *possible* control flow is
implicit (virtually any opcode can raise an exception, and from there
"magically jump" to the code at an enclosing 'except' or 'finally' clause);
and even an unexceptional bare 'return' can magically jump to an enclosing
'finally' block.  The Java reference discusses these things, and anyone
intending to do something here is still strongly urged to read it.