[Python-Dev] Is core dump always a bug? Advice requested

Michel Pelletier michel at dialnetwork.com
Thu May 13 13:04:36 EDT 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 04:43, python-dev-request at python.org wrote:

> It's important to read what people who have actually done it have to say
> about subtleties.  For example, your algorithm considered 'return' to be 'a
> terminal instruction'.  But what if it appeared in the 'try' clause of a
> try/finally construct?  In Python's PVM, most *possible* control flow is
> implicit (virtually any opcode can raise an exception, and from there
> "magically jump" to the code at an enclosing 'except' or 'finally' clause);
> and even an unexceptional bare 'return' can magically jump to an enclosing
> 'finally' block.  The Java reference discusses these things, and anyone
> intending to do something here is still strongly urged to read it.

But just looking at some code here, is RETURN_VALUE ever inside a SETUP_EXCEPT
block?  The end of the SETUP_EXCEPT block apears to ABSOLUTE_JUMP past all
the exception handlers to finally, and then to the RETURN_VALUE, which
doesn't seem to fall under the protection of a try/except.

I'm not saying there are no subtleties as you describe, I'm just trying to
quantify some of them and wondering if this is one.

-Michel