[Python-Dev] .pth files in current or script directory

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Sun May 16 21:40:10 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:11:23AM +1000, Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> I don't use NFS so I've no experience with the performance problems
> involved. Of course, Windows shares would have similar issues.
>
> Hmm - would this objection go away if a specific filename were mandated
> for these .pth files - e.g. pythonpath.pth?

Yes, searching for a single named file is a much faster operation than
listing a directory, and would probably be a fairly small impact on
Python startup, much smaller than listing a directory with many files.
It's one round-trip to the server vs many round trips.

.. but that makes the feature somewhat different than .pth files in
site-packages (any name vs a single name), which may be a bad thing too.

Jeff