[Python-Dev] windist.exe status and license

Matthias Klose doko at cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon May 17 02:03:19 EDT 2004

[CC to python-dev]

The windist.exe version shipped with current python releasese is
outdated and does not have any license information about windist
included.

Alexandre Fayolle writes:
> Package: python2.3-dev
> Version: 2.3.3-7
> Severity: normal
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed the file /usr/lib/python2.3/distutils/command/wininst.exe is
> missing from my currently installed version of the python2.3-dev
> package. I'm pretty sure I used to be able to create windows installers
> for the modules I develop from my Debian machine.
>
> Is this removal caused by an omission, or is there some licensing issue ?
> I could not find anything on that topic in the changelog, but maybe I
> didn't look hard enough.

I cannot find anything about the licensing. The executable only shows

$Info: This file is packed with the UPX executable packer http://upx.tsx.org $
$Id: UPX 1.01 Copyright (C) 1996-2000 the UPX Team. All Rights Reserved. $

However I found http://upx.sourceforge.net/.

- Maybe the binary can be updated to the SF version?
- Add the upx license to the Lib/distutils/command directory?

[Debian only:

 The UPX license itself is discussed at

 upx-nrv is currently in section non-free/utils, so it's better
 not to distribute it in the Debian package.
]