[Python-Dev] Need traceback expert to review patch 954922

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue May 18 14:48:16 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:

> Brett C. wrote:
>
>> And the reason I bring this up now is just in case there is any desire
>> to put this in 2.3.4 .  I obviously know that I missed rc1, but I
>> didn't get the details of triggering the problem soon enough and
>> people running 2.3.x are the ones bringing this up since this
>> apparently did not happen under 2.2 for some reason.  I doubt Anthony
>> wants to risk mucking with 'threading' this late (although the patch
>> is fairly self-contained but would require applying the previous patch
>> to attempt to fix this as well), but I thought I would at least put it
>> out there.
>

> Not going to be there for 2.3.4.

Figured as much.

> My approach to the bug fix releases is that, in general, "there's
> always a next release". That is, the bug fix releases are relatively
> frequent (5-6 months) and they're "what's in the branch at the moment".

OK.  How long do you plan to do this for the 2.3 branch?

> Starting with the next (2.3.5/2.4.1) releases, I plan on sending out
> a 1 month warning to python-list/python-dev, so that people that care
> can make sure their pet bug fix is checked in and done before the
> release. I'm really not interested in trying to slot in last minute
> changes that may, or may not, break the release.

Makes sense to me.

> In case it wasn't clear, I'm trying to get Python into a nice regular
> release cycle for the bugfix releases. While there will be the
> occasional "oh. my. god." type bug that drive a bug fix release
> now now now, I'd prefer that people can get used to a regular
> cycle for the bug fix releases. Part of this, of course, is being
> harsh on the no-new-features rule. I want people to feel confident
> that a bug fix release won't break their installed code base.

Getting into a regular groove for releases sounds great to me,
especially if we can state confidently that a bugfix release will be
along every 6 months (+/- a month).

-Brett