[Python-Dev] cmp(x,x)

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed May 19 09:44:08 EDT 2004

Gustavo Niemeyer <niemeyer at conectiva.com> writes:

>> > This is expected in an IEEE754 compliant implementation.
>>
>> What's one of them? <wink>
>
> I can tell you.. or I'd have to kill you. ;-)
>
>> > Something we currently are not (I get different results, as shown).
>>
>> Are you using 2.3 or 2.4 here?
>
> 2.3.. I wasn't aware about your recent change. Are you planning
> to include C99 stuff as well?

No.  My recent change was mainly motivated by the wart that in Python
2.3 on linux float('nan') == x came out True for any float x at all!

I'm not enough of a numerics guy to know what people who would like
real 754 support would actually want.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Finding a needle in a haystack is a lot easier if you burn down
  the haystack and scan the ashes with a metal detector.