[Python-Dev] Patch for long-standing bug in socket module

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at cci.lbl.gov
Wed May 26 00:31:03 EDT 2004

On May 22 I submitted a patch to fix this long-standing bug:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=728330&group_id=5470&atid=105470

My hope was that this fix will make it into Python 2.3.4 final
but so far nobody is paying attention. Could someone please have
a look and let me know if there are any concerns? As it stands
Python as distributed is near useless under SGI's IRIX because
the socket module doesn't compile. My patch fixes this problem.
The danger of introducing undesirable side effects is minimal
because all changed are surrounded by very specific #ifdef's.
I've tested the patch under three different OS levels with
three different compiler versions.

Thanks,
        Ralf