[Python-Dev] pre-announcing 2.4

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu May 27 02:48:19 EDT 2004

So this is the email that I'm planning to send to python-announce
and python-list/c.l.py shortly. Anyone have any changes/additions
they'd like to see? This will become a standard part of the release
process for future releases...

"""
This is a pre-announcement that the first alpha of Python 2.4
is about a month away. The purpose of this notice is to give
people a heads up - if you have a bug that you want to see
fixed for 2.4, start looking at it now. Fixes will be accepted
all through the release process - although once we get to the
first beta, bugs that change behaviour will have a harder path.

So, if you have a bug you want to see fixed, what should you do?

If it's not logged on SF, log it.
If it's logged, consider adding a patch that fixes the problem,
or at least a simple test case that demonstrates the bug.
If someone else has supplied a fix, see if this fix works for
you, and post your results to the bug.
If there's a working fix, feel free to add a note asking for
the fix to go into CVS. The SF bug tracker for Python has a
_lot_ of bugs in it, and it's easy for bugs to be overlooked.

On behalf of the python-dev team, thanks!
Anthony
"""