[Python-Dev] Re: Hello

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu May 27 12:26:20 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004, Brian Quinlan wrote:
> Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>
>>Crap.  We're probably seeing the leading edge of a spam technique we've
>>long suspected could happen.  I'll be signing my posts from now on....
>
> Actually, someone impersonating you has been sending stuff to my
> personal address for a couple of weeks now. I'm actually interested in
> the technique: do they harvest all the names on the list and then
> randomly forge e-mails from one user to another?

These days, there's an unholy alliance between virus writers and
spammers.  Once a virus latches onto the address book of someone who
knows you, welcome to spam city.  I first noticed this as a particularly
horrific problem last August -- for a while, I was getting as many as a
hundred spams/viruses/bounces per *hour*, all through
webmaster at python.org

"He's Quebecois. He puts mayonnaise on *everything*."  --siobhan at virulent.org