[Python-Dev] Re: Hello

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri May 28 18:15:48 EDT 2004

On 27 May 2004, at 17:21, Brian Quinlan wrote:

> Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> Crap.  We're probably seeing the leading edge of a spam technique
>> we've
>> long suspected could happen.  I'll be signing my posts from now on....
>
> Actually, someone impersonating you has been sending stuff to my
> personal address for a couple of weeks now. I'm actually interested in
> the technique: do they harvest all the names on the list and then
> randomly forge e-mails from one user to another?

I'm surprised: I've been getting personal spam "from" almost all
frequent python-dev posters for ages (at least half a year). I assumed
that everyone was getting this, but apparently up until now that didn't
happen?!?

I got myself a cacert.org certificate (plug: support the grassroots
X509 movement, don't use a thawte/verisign certificate but a cacert
certificate), but this mail isn't signed yet because for some reason
things that worked on my work machine don't work here at home:-)
Goldman