[Python-Dev] cPickle bug (was: Saving recursive objects to disc. cPickle wan't work)

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sat May 29 10:44:42 EDT 2004

Alex Polite wrote:
> On ons, maj 26, 2004 at 02:22:21 +0000, Alex Polite wrote:
>
>>I need to put recursive data structures on disc and found out that cPickle
>>doesn't like recursion.
>>
>>What are my options?
>>
>>alex
>

> Christian Tismer had the kindness to look at my code and point out
> that I might want to use pickle instead of cPickle, at least if I
> wanted to benefit from using stackless. Chaning from cPickle to pickle
> allowed to run the code under stackless as well as under standard
> python.
>
> thanks Christian.

Although I'm happy that things work even without Stackless,
this implies that there is an incompatibility between
pickle and cPickle.
If objects are treated identically by both, that normal Python
must use even more stack space for recursive objects that
cPickle, so I'd expect it crashes earlier.

But it doesn't crash. cPickle must have a bug.

ciao - chris