[Python-Dev] Stackless Python

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon May 31 20:37:09 EDT 2004

At 02:09 AM 6/1/04 +0200, Christian Tismer wrote:
>Anyway, I don't really get the point.
>95% of Stackless is doing soft-switched stackless calls.
>Behavior is completely controllable. We can easily avoid
>any special C stack operation, by setting a flag that
>disallows it (easy to implement) or by excluding the hard
>switching stuff, completely (not an option now, but easy, too).

If soft-switching is portable (i.e. pure C, no assembly), and is exposed as
a library module (so that Jython et al can avoid supporting it), then
perhaps a PEP for adding that functionality to mainstream Python would be
meaningful.

If that gets in, then the other 5% can always sneak in later via feature
creep.  ;)  Or, more importantly (if I understand correctly), it could be
separately distributed as an add-on for platforms that can support it.