[Python-Dev] Stackless Python

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon May 31 23:17:57 EDT 2004

> If soft-switching is portable (i.e. pure C, no assembly), and is
> exposed as a library module (so that Jython et al can avoid
> supporting it), then perhaps a PEP for adding that functionality to
> mainstream Python would be meaningful.

Anything that can be supported by a pure extension module is fair game
IMO.  But it was my understanding that Stackless requires changes to
the VM.  And I definitely don't want people to get into a habit of
writing code that relies on deep recursion that is only supported by
Stackless, only to find that it doesn't work in Jython etc.

> If that gets in, then the other 5% can always sneak in later via
> feature creep.  ;) Or, more importantly (if I understand correctly),
> it could be separately distributed as an add-on for platforms that
> can support it.

Hey, that's what Stackless already does.  Why is that approach
suddenly not good enough any more?