[Python-Dev] Policy about old Python versions

Johannes Gijsbers jlg at dds.nl
Mon Nov 8 20:38:31 CET 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 02:28:32PM -0300, Batista, Facundo wrote:
> So I propose to take the job of getting into each one of these bugs and
> comment:
>
> """
> Please, could you verify if this problem persists in Python 2.3.4 or 2.4?
>
> If yes, in which version? Can you provide a test case?
>
> If the problem is solved, from which version?
>
> Note that if you fail to answer in one month, I'll close this bug as "Won't
> fix".
>
> Thank you!
> """

Sounds good to me, with the following caveat. Before adding this
comment, do a casual check whether the bug has been reproduced by
another developer and/or whether you can reproduce it yourself. Don't
spend too much time on it, but just check whether it's obvious the bug
still exists. Wouldn't want to see bugs like http://python.org/sf/548176
or http://python.org/sf/531205 get closed because of lack of response.

By the way: you know about the 'canned response' facility, right? Saves
you from copy and pasting the same response over and over again.

Cheers,

Johannes