[Python-Dev] What is docutils?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Nov 10 15:49:00 CET 2004

[Irregular side-note: could people please trim the Cc: line when
responding to python-dev posts?]

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> I'm still uncertain what the point behind the docutils initiative is.

It's very simple: to provide roughly 80% of the power of DocBook in a
human-readable text format.

Everything else comes from the uses people desire to put that capability
to.  An eventual goal is to make reST the standard markup for Python
comments, but it's actually not advanced enough for that purpose yet.
(That's my opinion, but of course docutils itself is mostly documented
using reST.)  People are using reST for many different other purposes,
though: writing books, wiki markup, web pages (see the recent
www.python.org partial changeover), and so on.

WiFi is the SCSI of the 21st Century -- there are fundamental technical
reasons for sacrificing a goat.  (with no apologies to John Woods)