[Python-Dev] Re: syntactic shortcut - unpack to variably sizedlist

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 15:57:46 CET 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:36:11 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Anyway, if you're firmly opposed to itertools.iunpack, there isn't much point in
> pursuing it (since, in the end, your opinion is the one that really counts).
> Carlos may choose to post it as a recipe over at ASPN.

I also grew some doubts about iunpack(), as currently proposed. I
still feel that it has enough of a use case to deserve discussion, but
I'm not so sure about the details. I did check itertools before
submitting my original implementation, and for some reason, I didn't
perceive that islice coud be used for a similar effect with a slightly
different usage pattern.

One of the advantages of writing a PEP (or pre-PEP, as it is now) is
that, even if not absolutely required for the proposed addition to
itertools, it's still a way to encourage discussion and document the
results. I also still think that the pre-PEP could be published on the
main c.l.py list, for discussion and feedback.

The key point is the comparison between iunpack and islice. If iunpack
is deemed to be just an obvious extension to behavior that can already
be achieved with iunpack, then fine -- forget it. The most that I can
propose is to include an example in the documentation on how to
achieve iunpack behavior with islice. On the other hand, if it becomes
clear that the actual usage pattern for iunpack and islice are in fact
different, then I would stand for the addition of iunpack. Of course,
Raymond has the final word :-)

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos