[Python-Dev] String literal concatenation & docstrings

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 28 02:56:49 CET 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I'm not sure it needs clarifying; it's the reference manual after all,
> not a tutorial.
>
> I'd rather let the grammar speak for itself; there's no ambiguity in
> that, and the words are just there to clarify the *semantics*.

Also, I'll freely admit that I made the mistake of reading the "string literal
concatenation" bit out of context. Reading the preceding section on string
literals in general first (which includes the relevant snippet from the
grammar), probably would have made it clearer what was going on.

http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/ref/strings.html

Cheers,
Nick.
I guess there was a reason K&R used ';' after all. . .