[Python-Dev] String literal concatenation & docstrings

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Nov 29 03:51:27 CET 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>>Right.  Over-clarification results in docs that read like the
>>>instructions for the holy hand grenade ;-)
>>
>>Well said.
>

> Except that now I can't find the adjacent string literals in the
> grammar any more!
>
> I'm looking al http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/ref/grammar.txt
>
> The path goes from primary to atom to literal to stringliteral (and
> from there on into lexical detail) and nowhere does the grammar show
> that multiple string literals are allowed. Adding a single + after
> stringliteral in the expansion for literal would fix this
[SNIP]

But if you look at Grammar/Grammar you will notice that atom goes to STRING+
which should cover this.  Is that grammar.txt file generated from
Grammar/Grammar or is it done by hand?

-Brett