[Python-Dev] ConfigParser patches

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 1 23:52:09 CEST 2004

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 01 October 2004 04:07 pm, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>  > Ideally, the docs should discourage further non-string uses and advise
>  > that ConfigParser will be string only for Py3.0.
>
> Yikes!  Can't we just toss it for Py3K?  This module just hasn't held up, and
> exposes a really poor model even for .ini-style configuration files.

Ditto from me.  Personally I would want something that used XML (like property
lists on OS X), but I realize people still want a config file style that is
easy to modify in a text editor, so I don't see the .ini style going away.  But
we could stand to come up with a uniform interface that both an XML and .ini
config file parsers could use for consistency and thus support both styles.

Wasn't there talk for a while of doing an shootout of config file packages like
we did for optparse?

-Brett