[Python-Dev] ConfigParser patches

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Sat Oct 2 00:29:22 CEST 2004

[Guido van Rossum]
 > What sucks (relatively) is the specific way that ConfigParser
 > provides access to .ini files; I always end up writing a wrapping
 > layer around it.

Unfortunately ConfigParser discourages such wrappers by hiding too
much of its implementation as _private attributes (not
__class_privates, so they *are* accessible, but even single-underscore
_privacy screams "don't touch this -- subject to change without
notice").

Back on topic though, I'd like to see +/-'s on the two patches.  The
first one (http://www.python.org/sf/1017864) is IMO a no-brainer.  The
second (http://www.python.org/sf/997050) is what I'm really interested
in: do we maintain the existing API and functionality, or is it OK to
break existing code by *removing* functionality?

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>