[Python-Dev] Re: Utility scripts

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Mon Oct 4 22:45:48 CEST 2004

On Monday 04 October 2004 04:03 pm, Paul Moore wrote:
 > Of course, this will enrage Unix users who dislike file extensions :-)

Yes, indeed it will, as well it should.

 > Maybe having a user-specifiable option, something like --strip-ext, to
 > strip the .py extension from scripts when installing, would be useful.
 > (I recall something like this being discussed on the distutils-sig a
 > while back. Maybe this discussion should move there.)

We discussed something very similar to this, but it wasn't so much a per-user
distinction.  As a package author, the name of the executables that get
installed as part of my package are part of the user interface; I should be
abe to control them on each platform I support.

There are enough twists to this that we didn't come up with a general solution
at the time, and I've not had time to revisit the topic since then, though
I'd like to get something more workable over the next few months.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>