[Python-Dev] Status of undocumented distutils features in 2.4?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Oct 7 01:51:21 CEST 2004

I was looking up something in the distutils source today, and I noticed
that there are some new, undocumented, and not quite complete features that
were added earlier this year.  Specifically, the 'requires' and 'provides'
arguments to 'setup()', and the 'checkdep' command.

Should these be removed for 2.4?  It doesn't seem likely they'd be able to
be fleshed out before the beta, especially since as far as I can recall
they haven't been discussed on the Distutils-SIG yet, and some of the
features don't seem to be in alignment with the relevant PEPs (e.g. PEP
262's definition of "requires" and "provides").  And, the actual current
implementation of the dependency checking is (per the author's comments)
"kinda hacky".