[Python-Dev] Toward Python's future article

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 17:46:57 CEST 2004

Hello all,

There must be something about the way I write my comments that may be
making them sound worst than I want. I have _no_ intention to start a
flame war... and I really would like to make it sound constructive. I
apologize if it sounded otherwise. (I have a few comments that still
belong here, if only to clarify things)

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:54:34 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Note that there is no need to "settle things": the DB-API
> spec has been around for many years, is very stable,
> widely used and still flexible enough to meet requirements
> of various different database backends.

There are several packages around that don't implement the DB API
correctly, or implement a completely different API. This is clearly
not a fault of the DB API itself, or of its developers, but it's an
issue for its users. It's a difficult situation, because nobody is
really in a position to enforce compliance. In this sense, bringing
the issue to the standard library _could_ be helpful. One suggestion
is to have a reference implementation -- for example, a simple DB API
module, or a library that makes use of DB-API compliant modules. Of
course, it's open to discussion whether this is feasible or not; for
now it's only a personal opinion.

> If you feel that a certain feature is missing, I'd suggest
> you direct your constructive criticism to the db-sig at python.org.

I think the DB API itself is fine. What is lacking is some way to make
sure that everyone _comply_ to it. If that's can be done within the
DB-SIG group alone, fine.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos