[Python-Dev] test_pep263.py is "-kb" in CVS

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Oct 11 22:50:21 CEST 2004

Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
>> Don't know, but guess so:  it contains bytes outside the set ANSI C
>> says can be used portably in text files.
>

> However, this is not necessarily enough reason to use -kb.  The only
> things -kb does are LF -> CRLF / LF -> CR mapping, not using diff for
> updates, and not expanding $ keywords.

That is not true. On Apple computers, it also avoids conversion from
Latin-1 to Mac-Roman, which Mac CVS does by default for text files.
Making the files binary is the only way to avoid this conversion, and
that is precisely the reason why the file is binary.

You may argue that this is a bug in Mac CVS, and I would agree. However,
that specific bug has -kb as a known work-around, and the issue reported
here points to a bug in the compiler packages which should be fixed
rather than worked-around.

Regards,
Martin