[Python-Dev] Struct module format code addition (previously was in the subprocess thread)

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Tue Oct 12 00:34:58 CEST 2004

[snip Guido's mention of subprocess being included in Python 2.4, if at
all possible]

Speaking of inclusion, we seemed to have come upon a stalemate with the
'gG' format code additions.  Some users (without commit access to Python
CVS) have stated they would use it (and currently write their own
packing and unpacking functions), but some developers (with commit
access to Python CVS) have stated they would never use it.

At that point, the discussion pretty much ended.

I know that the request is coming in a bit late in the 2.4 development
cycle, but waiting until Python 2.5 seems like a bit much, considering
that the functionality is so simple it can be proven correct quite
easily (if it is to be included).

A pronouncement would be nice, but I understand that I am in no position
to ask/beg for a (yes, we'll add it) response. <.5 wink>

Thank you,
 - Josiah

P.S.
Note that everyone involved believes that binascii.from/to_long should
be added (I think it was even pronounced by Guido).